Tuesday, April 28, 2009

"Parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme."

Are you going to Scarborough fair? We surely didn't, but we did pick up the notorious herbs mentioned in Simon and Garfunkel's song this weekend. We planted the herbs in two extra large pots we usurped from the front stoop of our apartment, and now, we wait for them to grow.

Our first pot features Basil, Oregano, Rosemary, and Sage. The second pots harbors Dill
Italian Parsley, and Thyme. I don't yet have Tarragon potted, but it is one of my favorite herbs to use in cooking. Perhaps if these pots thrive in the next few weeks I will be inspired to plant a few more containers. Come to think of it there are some green planters on the front stoop filled with a stray, straggling aloe plants each, just waiting to be adopted and cultivated. We wanted to grow mint too, but we were advised against planting it in the same pot as our other herbs. Apparently mint is not a friendly neighbor and quickly takes. Since I love me some parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme, I had to forgo the mint.

The only downside to the herb planting is this repetitive folk song that now won't leave my head.... "Are you going to Scarborough Fair? " Last night I thought it would be funny to search online for scenes from The Graduate featuring the song..."Parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme." After all, if you have ever seen The Graduate, you well know that it feels like this song is played on repeat throughout the film... "Remember me to one who lives there." To get a feel, just watch the trailer ... "She once was a true love of mine." It summarizes the entire film, complete with several separate performances of the noted herb lyrics. Unfortunately for me, ever since I cleverly thought to correlate our herb garden to the song, I have been unable to erase the refrain of the song from my head... ... "Parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme." It is maddening.

However, all hippie folk songs aside, I am pleased to share that today it rained all afternoon. This might normally depress me, but now that I have pots full of little plants that like the rain, I too am content.

1 comment:

Miss Amelina said...

I just nominated you for for a blogging sisterhood award, dear. Your recipes, projects and enthusiasm are a constant source of delight!