Saturday, July 25, 2009

In-n-Out Burger in my tummy. Yummy.

Our recent trip to Southern California included the mandatory stop at an In-n-Out Burger, as I had never been, but heard about the chain every time a friend visited California. "It's the best" they all said. And for the most part, it lived up to its mythical fast food God status. It was fresh, it was greasy delicious. And of course, it had ample American cheese, which is always a plus. But the best part, in my opinion, was ordering using the code language devised through years of In-n-Out tradition. I had a double double animal style, which in English means two patties and two slices of cheese with everything, including grilled onions. If you are savvy you can get all sorts of not-on-the-menu treats there, like a Neapolitan milkshake (strawberry, vanilla, AND chocolate), animal style fries (french fries with grilled onions, pickles, and the secret sauce), or a Flying Dutchmen (two meat patties and two slices of cheese and nothing else, not even a bun!).

And best of all, the wait time while they prepared our fresh, never frozen burgers gave me and Will some time to check out the macro features on our digital cameras. We both have Cannons, but mine is old and his is new. Despite the old and clunky nature of my camera, I still think it takes a pretty great close up. Look at the ketchup, couldn't you just dive right in?




5 comments:

Miss Amelina said...

That ketchup DOES look good. In-n-Out is seriously the best thing ever. When I accompanied my husband on a business trip to San Jose in 2006, I ate there every day for a week while he was in seminars! :) But I knew I wouldn't get another chance to dine there in years, so I HAD to! :) Glad you liked it!

Meat Lover said...

Looks so good! Kate, I don't know if you'll ever be in Dallas, but I'd be glad to take you to my favorite burger place, a really old drive in called Kellers. True story: I get so worked up when Dan and I decide to go, while we're eating the burgers (free grilled onions, always), and for 30 minutes after I've eaten it, that I had to ask him to repeat himself once when he was talking to me because I was sitting there in silence, reflecting on how good the burger was.

Kate said...

Mmmmmm, Julie I would LOVE to eat a hamburger with you. The Texas Monthly this month features the 50 best burgers in Texas. A few are in San Antonio, so the next time you are in town call me and I will take you for a memorable burger. I won't even try to distract you with conversation while we eat! :)

Lauren said...

At Kellers, you can see

-a hooker making a deal
-a fistfight
-a bunch of people staring at you

It's like entertainment for your mouth and your eyes!

And yes, Julie really does space out if you go to Kellers. I've been with her before.

Anonymous said...

In N Out burger is the best. Hank (David Duchovny) in Californication put it best when he said the two benefits of living in California are being close to the beach and In N Out burger! Yes! I don't live in California and all the times I've visited I've only been to the beach a few times but I've been to In N Out each visit - as you said definitely mandatory.