Wednesday, April 7, 2010

More napkins, mostly Vera.


I am a napkin purchasing fiend. Of course, it is all in the name of true love and a lovely wedding-to-be. As you may remember from a few weeks ago, I am in need of 150+ Vera Neumann napkins for my friend Sarah's wedding. Over the past few months I purchased a good 50+ of them off of eBay, but the cost of shipping is killing me. In an attempt to be more frugal, I have taken to scouring the local thrift and second hand stores for some of these pretties. They are much harder to find, but so much more affordable (.$50 verses $2.50). In the rush of the thrift store hunt, I must admit that I strayed away from the Vera Neumann name for a few pieces. Some you might not even be able to tell a difference, but some you will. I suppose I figured that we could round out our $3 per napkin Vera collection with some more generic .50 cent beauties from the thrift store, in order to preserve the wallet. Most guests won't know the difference.

The image below is a tablecloth. That is my next order of business. I want to tie the whole look together by using Vera (and Vera-esque) linens on the tables in the cocktail area, the cake table, the guestbook table, the bars, and any other major decor areas at the wedding. After all, if we are going to have 150 Vera napkins, we need some anchoring decor.

I continue to be on the lookout for the best way to integrate all of these vintage linens into the decor. If you have good ideas or links to inspiring event images, please share. And of course if you have access to hoards of attractive Vera linens, do let me know. I am in the market to buy them.

2 comments:

Myra said...

Why not try to find a sheet or sheet set, to cut up for napkins, that could get you there sooner.

Kate said...

Looking at the time and cost to create 150 vintage napkins, we figured it is only slightly more expensive to purchase affordable vintage ones, and it saves so much time. Otherwise I would be a one-woman sweat shop.

We are looking at making some bunting flags and table runners out of vintage sheets though. Repurposing thrifted sheets is a great idea.