Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Marian Martin 9488

I have watched this pattern on eBay for ages, always bookmarking it, letting the auction pass, and watching it re-list and linger un-purchased. While no one else seems to like it, I am attracted to the blouse, which is odd because I am rarely attracted to 70's patterns. But, I have great hope for this one because of that unique shoulder yoke. One of my favorite patterns, perhaps my most successful sewing endeavor to date, is the 1930's Butterfly Sleeve Blouse. I have made it twice and have cut the fabric for a third. I attribute its great fit to the shoulder shaping, which uses a yoke to construct the shoulder and the fluttering sleeve all in one. The gathering over the bust and artistically fit shoulder seems to work for my figure and shape in a way that other patterns do not.

While this Marian Martin design is from about 40 years after my favorite blouse, it shares similar characteristics of 1930's fashion. The most characteristic fashion trend from the 1930s to the end of World War II was attention at the shoulder, including butterfly sleeves and banjo sleeves. Patterns were designed with broad, rounded shoulders cut in one piece with the yoke. Darts were replaced by soft gathers. This pattern fits the 1930's bill.

I might try it out in a 70's style dot, not polka dot, but more graphic.Grey and white is striking me at the moment, like this Amy Butler design. Or it might also be calling me in a Liberty floral, something small and colorful, like the Claire-Aude, Poppy & Daisy, or Lou Lou Isabelle A. Heck, maybe I could go all hipster on this and do a light weight, feminine plaid. I wonder how the pattern lines would match up? I bet the mismatch at the seams would make it interesting.

I might even try out the skirt, perhaps in a cotton chambray or light denim for summer, or even a colorful corduroy for the winter. I have not been having much luck in the actual construction of vintage patterns lately, but heck, I am pleased that at least my imagination and desire to sew continues to thrive. Marian Martin, here I come!



No comments: