Monday, December 13, 2010

Crepe Sewalong: Fabric

Look! It's yards and yards of quality cotton lawn, ready for my Crepe dress. It took two of us to fold this up the other day, and the entire length of our living space, into the dining room. I picked up about five yards of this pretty stuff at my favorite Boulder fabric shop, Elfriede's Fine Fabric, early this summer. It was originally designed for another project, vintage Mail Order 4875. However, if you remember, that project stalled badly when my expert tissue fit result in a WAY TOO BIG muslin. That dress went on a long-term hiatus, but the Crepe is similar and I think the fabric suits it, maybe event better, thanks to the full skirt, sash, and of course the sweetheart neckline.

Anyway, I think it will be perfect for the Crepe dress. the shell fabric is an all cotton lawn. The lining is a lightweight silk/cotton blend lining. I have black lightweight Palmer Pletsch interfacing that I will be using for the first time and is reported fabulous. And I plan to pick up a bit of silk organza to stay the neckline and armholes per the sewalong agenda. The colors are sophisticated but the floral is feminine and soft. The fabric is light and soft with a gentle drape, but such a high quality that it is sturdy and opaque. But I plan to fully underline it anyway, as Elfriede would say "for modesty."

This will be a lovely spring/summer frock. I have a good feeling about this dress.

* Yes, that's a lemon. For perspective.

No comments: