Sunday, January 27, 2008

I love me a chickpea.

A simple Sunday lunch.

This Sunday was such a beautiful day in San Antonio - sunny, dry, a bit breezy, and in the low 70s. After a week of cold and clouds it provided a welcome change. To celebrate the weather, Sam and I did our local errands on foot. We walked to the pharmacy, walked to the grocery store, and then treated ourselves to coffee at the new local joint up the street before walking home. It felt wonderful.

In an attempt to be healthy AND creative, we whipped up the simplest but most delicious salad for lunch. It only involved a basic seven ingredients, and as a result the final product tasted exactly the way a mosaic of seven distinct colors looks. The tastes were separate, but at the same time unified. Eating, I could absolutely distinguish the flavor of each and every item in the salad - the tang of lemon, the bite of the cheese, the earthy dampness of the chickpeas and the nutritious vegetative flavor of the greens, all enveloped the silky coating of olive oil. I could taste the colorful flavors individually, but I could also step back from the flavors and let them meld in my mouth into a beautiful, picturesque dish.

We listened to The Beatles and ate our lunch as sunshine streamed through our windows. It was a lovely, simple, Sunday meal.

I must give credit where credit is due, I found this recipe at Orangette, a superior blog dealing with all things delicious that I recently discovered. I modified her recipe by adding chopped flat leaf parsley, as well as tossing some spinach in a simple dressing of lemon juice and oil.

Chickpea Salad with Lemon and Parmesan

1 15-ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1 tsp. fresh lemon juice
1 ½ tsp. olive oil
A pinch of salt
¼ cup loosely packed shredded Parmigiano Reggiano

Combine all ingredients in a bowl, and stir gently to mix. Taste, and adjust seasoning as necessary. Serve immediately, or chill, covered, until serving.

1 comment:

Samwar said...

I'm sad to see the picture of me with spinach in my mouth didn't make the cut. Hehehehe.